The image above shows the Osprey Prototype Turbine test rig, a 30ft aluminium catamaran manufactured by Able Engineering.
The Osprey prototype is the most promising concept which came out of the research and development, being a simply constructed vertical axis turbine, at the time known as the T.P. turbine now called the Osprey. The key advantages of the turbine are summarised below…
- Suitable for river and tidal streams.
- Efficient in variable heights of flow.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Relatively simple to design and manufacture.
- Easy to maintain, as most of the complex components are above water level.
- Suitable for third world construction and application.
- Re-application of existing technology.